Thursday, 8 November 2012

White flatpack U shaped kitchen with island - just add paint!

Oh happy, happy, happy day!
 
The great kitchen renovation of 2012 is what I like to call done...
 
Well nearly but I'm calling it done, after four months, the important/payed for/outsourced stuff is done!
 
Yes the kitchen needs painting, shelves, floor sanding, window treatments, the fridge recess finished...and the biggie...a place to put the microwave...the ugliest appliance known to women kind!
 
I did have a win with the bin space though so high fives for me!
 
OK, lets have a squiz shall we.
 
 

The U shape is so easy to move around and I knew the sink had to face the window.  I could have fit a dishwasher but in terms of storage, opted out...because I really, really enjoy hand washing my dishes...ha ha
 
White tile laid in a subway pattern = love! 
 
I'm not sure my builder agreed but he did smile and nod a whole lot while looking at my reference pictures... 
 
Bless him! 
 
 
 

 
The tile is flat edge 10 x 20cm and was super affordable. I contemplated tiling to the first piece of trim but I think it would have looked cold,clinical and overdone...and I hope not to have food/liquid splashes up that high!!
 
Light grout won the coin toss, it felt clean, neat and light and more fitting in an open dining area even thought the space gets tons of light with the removal of a wall between the old kitchen and dining area. 
 
 
The island overhang looks odd here but let me educate you about the trifecta of kitchen planning problems...especially if your going flat pack and planning it yourself.

1.  The fridge
2.  The microwave                           The three necessary evils you must account for
3.  The rubbish bin                               and aren't necessarily popular on Pinterst!
 
The fridge recess will be closed in all around when budget allows and when I decide how to get the fugly white microwave off my lovely bench top.

I needed a bin space that didn't involve housing it in a cupboard. I figured the island bench was longer than I needed so rather than cut it, use the overhang to pop the bin under.  I'm also open to the idea of putting shelves there one day. 
 
Apart from the two corner cupboards, the rest of the cabinetry is made up of drawers. 

Best decision ever. 

It's amazing to have three junk drawers now instead of one...
 
In reality, I don't even use them all.  They are super deep and store everything from plastics, glassware and recipe books. 
 
 
 

The island bench is 1.8 metres long but two bar stools are enough for one person.  They look great and I like the black/white combo but I'm not gonna lie, they do give you numbbumbitis! 

Yep, that is a totally made up word for a commonly occurring condition caused by furniture purchased on the Internet.

They are OK for soup and toast but painful for main and desert.

I liked the idea of an eat in island and a separate dining table.  I finally scored a round dinning table with pedestal leg and non ugly chairs...it's pine/piney/pineish....I don't love that and plan to either sand and stain or sand and paint.  Thoughts?



This area is the most unfinished.  It needs cabinetry to complete the fridge recess and shelves above the drawers.  The pantry is amazing!! 90 x 560 x 2600cm (wide/deep/high).
The drawers were a last minute decision and they hold all my 'stuff' that actually, in this photo seems to be sitting on the bench top...but mail, computer, bills, paperwork...until I can store it in the office.

Paint colour = major frustration. 

Any thoughts or suggestions are most welcome.  I swaying towards a very light grey with blue/taupe undertones.  So, you know, that should only take me another 6 months! 


Sharing at:
Not Just A Housewife, House of Hepworths, The Shabby Creek Cottage, The 36th Avenue, Design,Dining and Diapers, Fingerprints on the Fridge, The Shabby Nest, Six Sisters Stuff,

14 comments:

  1. I'm adding numbbumbitis to my unofficial dictionary! My bar stools have been known to afflict the same condition. :) I love what you've done so far in your kitchen! Drawers make so much more sense than using cupboards. I had the same problem with picking the right gray for our bathroom and teenage son's room. I tried 6 paint samples and they were either too dark, too light, too blue, etc. Very frustrating!! I ending up making up my own sample by using one of the samples that was too dark (Rockport Gray) and added white and brown craft paint till I got the shade just right. I took the sample that I painted on a piece of white cardstock to the paint store and had them color match it. It looks white out of the paint can, but I ended up with light taupe gray that satisfied my gray paint OCDness.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The colour sounds perfect! I have a grey I used to paint my bedroom cupboards that I love so maybe time to get out the paint tins and experiment. Yes, numb bumb is un unfortunate downside but I do love them!

      Delete
  2. Wow, girl! This is lookin' great! And all those drawers? Brilliant! Not that you're asking, but I'd vote for the grey paint...just read another blog a few minutes ago, and she had done her living room in it. She said depending on the light, it looks grey, blue, or white. Anyway, looking forward to the next step!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ohhhhhh that sounds like my type of grey! I have oodles of white paint but just want a slight tonal differance so it doesn't look to stark. Do you know the colour?

      Delete
    2. Sorry it took me so long to find the paint color....I had forgotten what blog I saw it on, and just found it! The paint is Behr, "Dream Catcher"

      Delete
  3. love the subway tile and the openness of your space. congrats on being done. ish.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is gorgeous! I'm jealous of all those drawers! Is the overhang wide enough that you could build a shelf below to house the microwave (may require some electrical wiring) and still accommodate the trash bin? I'm so tired of reaching up to get hot stuff out of the microwave! The dining room set has great lines. Doing table & chairs black would anchor and offset the white. Light to medium gray walls...yum! Very classic and you could then accent with any colors you liked on any given day. Looking forward to seeing what you do!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great idea re the microwave under the overhang!! Thank you as always for advice, support and sweet comments :)

      Delete
  5. Sarah, this looks fantastic! What a styling genius you are, so clever with the bin place under the counter. Everything looks so clean and bright, I'm envious! I like the potential colour you've described for the walls. Of course the best thing is that everything goes with white, you have chosen so well. So if you change your mind and want to paint something wild next year, it will go along well with your gorgeous white subway tiles too. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, gotta love a white kitchen, apart from cat prints on the benchtop...dislike those!

      Delete
  6. Oh, Wow! This looks amazing!! Love the drawer pulls and all of the drawers!! Looks so crisp and clean. Thank you for sharing. Would love it if you would share this at my Make it Pretty Monday party at The Dedicated House which goes live at 8am CST on Monday. http://thededicatedhouse.blogspot.com Hope to see you at the bash! Toodles, Kathryn @TheDedicatedHouse

    ReplyDelete
  7. I would love for you to share this (or any of your other great ideas) at the link party going on through tomorrow night at ‘Or so she says …’ Hope to see you there! www.oneshetwoshe.com

    ReplyDelete

Hearing from you makes my day. Comments make a bloggers world go 'round and 'round so thank you for stopping by and taking the time to say hi!

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...