Monday, 26 November 2012

Chalkboard Trivets {An Easy DIY Project}



I love a quick, easy and cheap DIY project, and this fits the bill perfectly. 
 
Summer has only just started, but already it's hot, as in stinkin, don't want to move in fear of breaking out in a sweat hot.
 
40 degrees today...beyond words really...


 
Perfect for staying indoors, under the struggling a/c, eating soft serve ice cream, pondering why I seem to gain weight over summer and crossing a few things of my 'have been wanting to do' list.
 
 
All this project requires is
  • old floor tiles
  • chalkboard paint, brush and clean up equipment
  • liquid chalk marker (I used UNI brand) for words and outlines
  • regular chalk stick to fill in shapes
  • limited, lethargic, summer brain imagination despite 20 Pins devoted to amazing chalkboard ideas
  • wet cloth to clean up the oops parts...
  • a high tolerance for chalk dust on fingers and the inevitable chalk scratching on a board noise...
It may just be me but chalk feels absolutely disgusting on skin and under fingernails...
 
We all have our quirks...
 

My writing is usually classified under the neat to readable ccategory.

The likelyhood of it remaining that way while using a chalk pen to write on tile that you want to use in your home and photograph and display on the www reduces that 100 fold.

I'm not a particularly artistic or creative person but I just decided to have fun with it and I really like how they turned out.
 

 
To answer a question that I didn't even think about until this project was done...

Yes, the liquid chalk withstands moisture. 

I did these around a week ago so the chalk well and truly had time to dry and set.  The instructions say cleans up with soap and water.

A drippy coffee cup or steam from a hot pot don't affect it all. I have even rinsed one of these under the tap. 

Obviously the dry chalk used to fill in the shapes doesn't take well to moisture but for a coffee cup holder, it works a treat.


The best part is if I get sick of them or change my mind about my 'artistic' abilities, it's quick and easy to change them.

FYI - to my knowledge I have never called anything a trivet before...

It's always a pot holder, or non burnie thingie to put a hot doovie whatsit on...so I'm not trying to sound fancy or anything but "Chalkboard non burnie thing" just didn't have the oomph I was looking for in a title...

Linking to:

9 comments:

  1. So cute!!! Love the idea! Thanks so much for sharing!
    Happy week !

    Hugs from Portugal,

    Ana Love Craft
    www.lovecraft2012.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your chalkboard non burnie thing! Cute idea! Where did you find your chalk marker? I must not be looking in the right place....

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are hilarious! Love it! Never thought of using old floor tiles. That's brilliant. I found a stack of them when we moved into this house....beware little tiles.....

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is really a cute and effective idea. I like the cup rosters idea and would love to be able to make it more permanent after putting my own flare to it. Thanks for sharing and I am following you now. I would love for you to follow along.
    Jillian
    http://puzzlemecomplete.blogspot.com/2012/11/family-traditions.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a cute idea! Very clever:)

    Katie
    www.funhomethings.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a lovely idea! These are absolutely sweet! :D

    Hugs,

    ReplyDelete
  7. LOVE these cuties!!! Pinned for inspiration:) Following you now. Follow me too at http://www.sewsweetvintage.com/2012/11/reversible-holiday-note-board.html Found you on DIY live:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very cute! Fantastic that you can change them too to suit. For example, Xmas is nearly here!! What about a large one (with paw prints) for the pets food bowls?? :)

    ReplyDelete

Hearing from you makes my day. Comments make a bloggers world go 'round and 'round so thank you for stopping by and taking the time to say hi!

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...