Sunday, 28 October 2012

Xmas in 57 sleeps

Courtesy of my lovely nieces


I'm a bit ho hum about Xmas

 
I'm not a scrooge, a Grinch or a plain ol meanie
 
I'm just not that into Xmas.
 
Pinterst boards around the world have just shrivelled up and died.......
 

Let me clarify.

 
I love the day itself...spending time with family and sharing great food, thoughtful gifts and having a long sleep after lunch...
 
It's the lead up and hype I'm not fussed on.
 
Xmas carols make my hair stand on end, tinsel freaks me out, glace cherries are icky and don't get me started on pine trees.
 
Or Tinsel..............
Gosh, what.....big thighs you have...
Creepy, creepy, creepy....the little hairs on my arms have gone hoo ha
 
Maybe if I lived in a world with snow that doesn't come out of a can, where cherries weren't $18 a kilo and roast turkey didn't turn you into a shrivelled, melted mess of despair and a life long fear of "breast or thigh"...
 
I do like the shopping and wrapping, meal planning (yes, I said it...meal planning...no I don't have an actual planner), crossing fingers and toes that I don't have to work and that the important people in my life are near and dear.
 
My Xmas budget this year is small...
 
I will man up, solder on and bravely plough through the world of tinsel and pine cones and wreaths (which I don't mind at all...) and search Pinterst for a few DIY gift inspirations.

 

 
 
 
 



10 comments:

  1. The pine tree, tinsel and turkey await you. Luv mum

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Sarah - you have captured this so well. I like buying and wrapping gifts too - but I miss the magical anticipation of childhood expressed in your nieces' drawing. Given the warm temperatures of your Christmas season, what do you do for Christmas trees? Do you buy trees, use live trees, or do you have another approach? I am looking forward to seeing how you decorate your house - you have so much style.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well given my pine tree phobia...I can't explain it, they just creep me out...I fondly recall the bedhead 'tree' of '09, that was a good year! Live pine trees don't exist where I live, most people use a faux tree. Highly flammable and claaaaasy.

      Delete
  3. I believe I have found my polar opposite! I love everything about it. When I first started seeing Christmas things in stores in August, I was thrilled! My daughter has to keep me reined in or my tree would be up...well...now! I do agree on the snow thing, though. I came here (Arizona, USA) by way of Idaho....from white Christmases to.....cactus. I love your blog, by the way! I'm always happy when I see it in my inbox!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your super kind words! I would love a white xmas, one day! You should put the tree up if it makes you happy, it's never too early for Xmas if it's a season you love!

      Delete
  4. I feel the same way. The build up you see everywhere, now starting before Halloween, makes me ill. I long for a simple Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hahaaaa!!! So funny...but I'm also your total opposite when it come to Christmas! Christmas is a whole other season of the year as far as I'm concerned, it starts the second Hallowe'en is over (but secretly it starts in September...I resent Hallowe'en because it delays the Christmas season)and I adore all the build-up, all the hype, and most of all, the fir trees!! We put up not one but two trees! (Totally fake ones, too- that have flocking on them to look like snow- don't hate me.)Are you gagging? LOL I love your blog, it always brings a smile to my face, and my wish for you is that you begin to love everything about Christmas. Although, as you said, you love the day itself, which is all that matters. I hope we get to see your home once it's decorated for the season.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I, too, hate the hype in the stores starting before Halloween. I remember when I was young(er), I looked forward to Thanksgiving and THEN to Christmas. We used to wait until Christmas Eve to put up the (live)Christmas tree and then would go to midnight service at church. I love the Christmas season and try to stay focused on why we even have Christmas...helps to deal with the hype and I try to make gifts.

    Last year was the first year in my life that it was just me at home. I didn't have the energy to do a full blown tree so I got two 2 ft. high floor vases, wrapped them in paper I liked, put white lights in them and then dragged in some tall branches from the yard, stuck them in the vases and placed a few bird ornaments in them. IT was simple and easy to take down. Year 2 empty nesting? Who knows. Haven't figured it out yet :)

    ReplyDelete

Hearing from you makes my day. Comments make a bloggers world go 'round and 'round so thank you for stopping by and taking the time to say hi!

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...