Saturday, 6 October 2012

Painted Front Door

Blogging has a lot to answer for.

It's stolen the thunder from my DIY project.

Today I painted my front door.

That's all there really is to say about it.

There was a door, and I painted it.





Back in the day...like when my shack was first built, pre Internet, pre Pinterest even (gasp)...this would have been pretty exciting stuff.

Marg would have called Berris on the exchange and said

"Berris, you will never guess!"
"Oh Marg is it the boys...have they been sling shooting the neighbours cat again?"
"No Berris, that was just a phase...their digging a tunnel into their  yard now...no you will never guess...I woke up and decided enough is enough, I don't care what Fred thinks and blast the expense...I.painted.the.front.door......"
"Oh Marg you didn't......."

 
Anyways...I only took about four weeks, six visits to the hardware shop and an extremely painful hour long conversation with the shop assistant convincing him I really wanted turquoise, not mint green, or pale pink or "shiny, shiny, bright, punchy orange"...all coincidentally available 'mistake' colours...
 
He was enthusiastic and patient, I will give him that...it takes time to pick the right colour from ten swatches that are the same but 'different'...
 

 

The before...lovely chevron/blog friendly door

Ugly baby blue, ugly timber landing...cute door mat



I prepped by sanding to the point of commitment...

Washed with sugar soap

Opened the paint and went 'ohh eee, she's bright"...kinda like Heidi's frock bright...

I could only hope that with some stirring I too could pull of a plunging front and back the paint would look more like the Persian Turquoise I had picked.





Luckily with minimal agitation, it turned out just right.

 
 
Except in this photo, it looks just wrong and neon...it's not!
 

 
I scored an old amo case (dear sister, suck it...it's mine!) and jazzed it up with a Target lantern and surprise, surprise, an insulator.
 
 
Yes, the floor boards need replacing, the fern is wilted and my photography is dismal.
 
But the front door has survived the owner drive by...
 
I got in the car, drove around the block and checked out the colour from a few angles...sad yes but an effective and easy tool for street visible make overs!
 
 Sharing at
 
 

”Tip

20 comments:

  1. Gorgeous! And you know, my ex has some of those ammo cans....never thought....huh....hmmmmm.....yeah, I might have to talk to him!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome!!! I really do love it and it all "pops" without being overbearing. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awww you nailed it!!!:)) Pretty door pretty colour!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks really nice. I'm not brave enough to try such a bright color on my house but this really brightens up the porch nicely.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks ladies! I love it, just need to change the door handle now...should be fun!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like it! Well done! You sound just like me and my repetitive hardware store scouting trips!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love it! And, you're quite the funny one! Great post. Visiting from Nifty Thrifty. Would love it if you would share this at my Make it Pretty Monday party at The Dedicated House which goes live at 8am CST on Monday. http://thededicatedhouse.blogspot.com Hope to see you at the bash! Toodles, Kathryn @TheDedicatedHouse

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your door looks amazing! Love the color!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ha ha...love your presentation, and love that door- nicely done! And here I was thinking we were special for painting our front door red. LOL

    Coleen from ~Wind and Roses Blog~

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great job with the turquoise paint, Sarah! I painted a turquoise accent wall in my living room and I know how much grief this color gives you when it shows absolutely wrong in the photos :))))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, worst feeling but in 'real' life it looks awsome! LOVE your wall

      Delete
  11. Great color- really livens up the entry.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ooh! That looks really good! The chevron patterned door was already unique, but the turquoise color really makes it pop!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm so glad that I'm following you! The turquoise looks awesome on your door, what a difference! Thanks so much for sharing:)

    Katie
    www.funhomethings.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. It's a cute door, really love it now! Thank you so much for taking the time to comment, heading over to yours now..

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow:) I love it!! Well done!! Thanks for linking up:)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi, I included yuor pretty door in: http://dreamingofjune.com/painted-front-doors/

    ReplyDelete

Hearing from you makes my day. Comments make a bloggers world go 'round and 'round so thank you for stopping by and taking the time to say hi!

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...