Thursday, 25 October 2012

Guest Room and Office; The Start Of A Makeover


The home office/guest room/storage room.

 
Always a delight to decorate…said no one…
 
ever.
 
For me it’s a space that has been sorely neglected since moving to the shack.  I haven’t found the time, inclination or finances to tweak the room into something more inhabitable than a hairball collecting store room.
 
I haven’t painted the walls, the window furnishings are IKEA roller blinds that I thought I could DIY with a hacksaw and fabric…this is pre Pinterest mind you!  What was I thinking?  There is no storage except for a clothes rack and cupboard circa pre historic times and miss matched furniture.
 


This is what the room looked like on day one.

IMG_0444

Nice hard wood floors, plenty of light, except in this photo of course…and a decent size.  Please don’t ask the dimensions…I have measured it oh, you know, about 10 times but cannot remember them.  Yea DIY is totally my thang...

Otherwise a beige cave.


home office desk and chair

What spurred me to get off my butt?

I have finally found, payed for and picked up a round dining table with pedestal leg…and non fugly matching dining chairs!
 
Wahoo, happy dance, cheesy grin, the planets have aligned…

For me anyway, they probably align all the time, who knows…
 
Why the excitement? 

Mmm, well I may have been looking for said table for around two years,  finally caved in and ordered one from my local furniture store….and luck would have it, found one for sale for an awesome price.  Despite the awkward “don’t want it, found a nice/cheaper one” call to the furniture store, I’m feeling pretty pleased.
 
Anyhoo, the old door turned dining table had to go to a better place.  Due to having NO room anywhere else in the shack, it was manhandled into the spare room (thanks Mum, your always there when the heavy/awkward stuff needs moving! Remember the side board...fun times! ). 

The same day, I spotted a coral rug in the $2 store…for $39.95…go figure…

I was up to a triple score.  New table, new home for the old table and a great rug!

home office art

There is a grey futon in the room already, more on that to come…I know, your thinking futon = functional aka ugly...this one is cute...promise!
 
Grey and coral, it was meant to be.  OK so the table is slightly more pink and the tub chair is taupe…but work with me here.
 
I had two left over coral prints from the bathroom makeover that matched the rug perfectly.  Yes they look slightly crooked in the picture…because they are!

tin sign and stencils

The desk was quickly filled with ‘stuff’…and surprise, surprise, none of it office stuff…except for the b*(&&^y wireless printer that is resting on a plastic tub under the desk. 

The Texaco sign is a treasure from The Shed, it’s rusty and chipped but I love it.  The stencils, also The Shed…rest assured I havn’t even made a dint on the contents of that yet!

timber side table

The timber bedside table is from my gran, Happy 91st birthday for tomorrow!!! xxoo  I love it’s shape and cannot bring myself to sand or paint it. 

The straw basket is from my Great Aunties (grans sister) o/s travels, the leather latch is broken and it totally is not hiding the electrical cord but the greens and teals look great with the coral.  I also splurged and bought a coral tea light holder from Target which will never see a candle in it’s life but just helps tie it all in.

imperfection

Keepin it real!

 Now I know there is a word between borrowed and stolen… 
 






The tub chair was “lifted from it’s original position in my work place where it totally was not been used and moved into my car boot and brought home”…is how I would describe it.
 
I get caught out every time I see the back of it…I should paint it…I will paint it!
 
And still feel like a naughty, naughty thief.
 
As you can see the room is not even close to finished and I have only shown you the semi cute bits.
 
I still need to paint, hang curtains, hang more art and organise some DIY built in storage.

Any ideas are most welcome.
  • Did you know you can share your Pic Monkey creations straight from the site?  Not useful if you want your shares to reflect back to your blog but still...
  • I would love more FB and Pinterst followers...it's OK to be a follower...and I love finding new blogs/creative people
  • I just don't get Halloween, if anyone can explain it to me in 50 words or less, please feel free :)
Sharing at
Not Just A Housewife, The 36th Avenue, House Of Hepworths, Six Sisters Stuff, Twigg Studios, Debbie Doos, Nifty Thrifty Things, I Heart Nap Time, Positivly Splendid, Life On Lakeshore Drive,



    Photobucket

    14 comments:

    1. Very nice post, I really enjoyed your sense of humour! The rooms looks great, so I will just have to come back again to see it finished. :D

      ReplyDelete
    2. It's looking good, Sarah, really starting to shape up! I like all your odds and ends that you're using, it's eclectic and interesting and seems to reflect your sense of humour! Hope we see the 'finished' product, ie the whole room and not just vignettes. Keep up the good work! LOL

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Thanks Coleen, soon...ish. My soons are a bit like dog years!

        Delete
    3. Came over from Twigg's. I thoroughly enjoyed your post - very creative writing style. I love a blog with a story behind the pieces being blogged about. I am now following you with GFC. I blog about distress painting and other crafty and paper things. I love refinishing furniture. I live in the Southern part of the US. Halloween: a holiday that promotes extreme spending in Americans. Probably subsidized by decoration companies! It is also a holiday that promotes the giving and getting of chocolate and other sweets, but most of our holidays do that.

      I love your space and your blog. Stop by mine if you have the time!

      Distressed Donna Down Home

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Thanks for stopping by, heading to yours now! I love the story but I do tend to go on and on a bit LOL

        Delete
    4. You had me at the Texaco sign :) I love it! I can't wait to see what you will do with it all!

      Have a great day rock star!
      karianne

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Yep, crushing on the sign, just have to figure out how to paint a plastic chair...I'm sure it will turn out just fine!!!

        Delete
    5. Love how this is pulling together! I've used Krylon Fusion for Plastic spray paint on outdoor items and it has held up beyond-my-expectations well! As in no chips! That Texaco sign makes my heart smile. Halloween? Useless. It is thought to have originated with the ancient Celtic festival of Samhain, when people would light bonfires and wear costumes to ward off roaming ghosts. In the eighth century, Pope Gregory III designated November 1 as a time to honor all saints and martyrs; the holiday, All Saints’ Day, incorporated some of the traditions of Samhain. The evening before was known as All Hallows’ Eve and later Halloween.

      ReplyDelete
    6. This room looks great already! Love the dining room table as a desk! I take unused things home from work too, I consider it giving the item a new lease on life, and saving it from the dumpster in the future ;)

      ReplyDelete
    7. Great "steal" on the chair... lol! Love the rusty signs! :)

      ReplyDelete
    8. Love the artwork and that wood table is Awesome! Very inspiring and just in time for me to do my new home office! Found you on the sunday blog hop.. hop on by allthoseartsygirls.blogspot.com and treasuringgrace.blogspot.com
      thanks
      Diane

      ReplyDelete
    9. Nice start - can't wait to see the finished room...Found you at Life on Lakeshore Drive - am a new follower....

      ReplyDelete
    10. I love all of it! The sign is awesome, and I love the table. Thank you so much for sharing again this week at A Bouquet of Talent! So happy to have you. :)

      ReplyDelete

    Hearing from you makes my day. Comments make a bloggers world go 'round and 'round so thank you for stopping by and taking the time to say hi!

    Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

    Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...