Sunday, 2 September 2012

Painted Wooden Kitchen Sign

I love weekends.

A sneaky sleep in until 7.15…

and a well thought out chat to my internal alarm clock.

Catching up on a weeks worth of laundry, a quick foof around the shack to scare away the dust bunnies.

Reacquainting myself with old friends the couch with a good book and a small serve of chocolate to keep the endorphins up.

This is the plan, it rarely changes.

Until I visit my parents and spy my father wielding a paint brush in a small space …
 
with a look of intent…
 
I ended up helping paint their bathroom all Saturday…it wasn’t the plan… I should have painted my bathroom ceiling instead, or the spare room…or finished off the store room

or had a nap.

But it was fathers day weekend, I don’t really mind painting…and I’m a bit OCD re trim…

chevron wooden kitchen sign

While loitering around on Sunday waiting for the traditional fathers day sponge to cook I made up a sign for the kitchen.

The paint tin was open, a brush already dirty, I didn’t have to clean up…

A clear sign I must make this.

I’m not qualified to do tutorials but here is quick rundown…

  • Find an old piece of wood that doesn’t need cutting or sanding or any prep work at all apart from a quick wipe with a wet chux
  • It’s not that your lazy but like all projects…you want them done yesterday
  • Wet chux reveals orangey pine…pine is bad
  • Look for wood stain
  • Use black boot polish instead…hide look of surprise when it works…normally your make do ideas are dodgy
  • tape out a pattern with sticky tape
  • paint
  • peel off tape…again hide look of surprise…you don’t have a good track record with stencils
  • wait until the paint dries then sand half of it off…this seems to be the done thing with home projects, paint then destroy
  • print of the word EAT in large letters in a nice font…or you could just use Baskerville Old Face
  • wish you were more creative with your choice of word…get over it
  • trace letters onto soft pine wood then fill in with a black sharpie
  • stand back and realise this part doesn’t look so good
  • realise there is no way I’m going to hand paint those suckers…get over it.
  • hang on wall with blue tack until your kitchen is finished and you can paint then find a more suitable way of hanging it
IMG_0352

Faff about sticking the sign up in 50 different places and realise it looks pretty good with the unfinished subway tile behind the stove.

It can stay there for now but in the near future…I will remain positive… when the kitchen reno is 100% complete, hopefully it will find a more permanent home.

I hope you all had a fantastic weekend and Happy Fathers Day to all the Aussie dads out there!

Linking to
 





13 comments:

  1. That's a pretty neat sign! And...I think you do an awesome tutorial! I so suck at stenciling.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Danni I have so many projects in mind but they all require stenciling or free hand...my hand is trembling at the thought!!

      Delete
  2. Love it! You are very creative with materials, I must say.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aussie Father's Day is different than U.S. Father's Day? Who knew? Looks like we have both been in the sign painting mode recently ... love your non-tute. Black shoe polish is my favorite step!

    :)

    Linda

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Linda, It was certainly make do project!

      Delete
  4. Your sign turned out great. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love this sign. I tell you I have some creative links this week, each one just blows me away. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So cute! Thanks for sharing at It's Overflowing! XO, Aimee

    ReplyDelete
  7. This looks great! I would love for you to stop by My Dream Canvas. Have a super weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your sign turned out great. So unique. Thank you so much for sharing at Bouquet of Talent Linky Party. I am your newest follower. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Loved the way this sign turned out! Thanks for linking up:)

    Tori

    ReplyDelete

Hearing from you makes my day. Comments make a bloggers world go 'round and 'round so thank you for stopping by and taking the time to say hi!

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...