Sunday, 5 August 2012

DIY furniture: Upcycled sideboard



When I bought The Shack, I knew I would have to make do with what I had.

There would be little money for new furniture.

I had more exciting things to spend my dollars on...

Like an upstairs toilet...yes really, I kid you not.

Some would say it was outdoor...I prefer to say downstairs.











It sounds more classy, purposeful and if you really stretch the imagination, like a line from Downton Abbey,  "Cora, if you don't mind, I'll visit the downstairs".

I digress.

I'm picky.  I don't like pine furniture, pine is fine... if you are a tree.  Melamine, white glossy, modern........mm not for me.

I shopped this 'sideboard' from my local dump.  It's solid, huge and heavy...

Mum, I realise you have a seniors card now (because the government sent it to you, not because you want/need one, just to be clear!) but thank you for helping me move it...twice. 




 

Thanks to a new computer/phone and poor data backup on my part....I have no before photos...bad, bad, bad, it's called an external hard drive Sarah....do it!

Lets just say...she wasn't going to have her dance card filled anytime soon.








We've talked, she knows its true.


I still stopped, looked, circled, ignored eye rolling from the other present party and hefted it onto the back of the vehicle.


With a little grunting, whinging and swearing and furtive glances for tip patrollers.

The local council is very, very particular about 'borrowing' items from the dump...they call it theft. 

I call it upcycling.  I will write them a note outlying this term. 

I anticipate their reply.


Gosh is that a shopping/computer bag under the table.....what could they be doing there...
Keeping it real!

After removing layers of tin from the top, 20+ screws, hooks and nails.........happily none of which kept her together!
Vigorous applications of degreaser and when that didn't work various home made concoctions which I will be sure to patent soon.
A light sanding and paint............lots and lots of paint.

She became my favourite piece of furniture.


She is a resting place for all my bits and pieces........


The cats observation/cleaning deck...


 A place for books and magazines...


Yes I have a magazine problem...

It's really too big to be a sideboard but it won't fit through a door way to another room.....

So it's settled, she's staying put. 

 And I like it.

Linking to
Funky Junk Interiors, Tatertots and Jello, Positively Splendid, Six Sisters Stuff, The 36th Avenue, Whipperberry, House of Hepworths, DIY Showoff I heart naptime  Debbiedoo's  Making the world cuter  Keeping it simple  Nifty Thrifty Things Not Just A Housewife Get Your Craft On Primitive and Proper Savvy Southern Style Thrifty Decor Chick My Uncommon Slice of Suburbia Uncommonly Yours
Shabby Creek cottage Shabby Nest Ivy and Elephants Miss Mustard Seed, Homes Stories A To Z, Primitive and Proper,
Tip Junkie handmade projects

27 comments:

  1. Hi Sarah. I love, love, love that sideboard! Wow! What a find! You should give it to your sister!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mmm I'm not sure if she would like it ;)

      Delete
  2. Fabulous table. I would have fished it out of the dump too, absolutely! Excellent find. I just found you from Debbiedoo's. I'm your latest follower and a fellow newbie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dump shopping is pretty fun, thanks for visiting!

      Delete
  3. It looks terrific! well done!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome find. Love the look. New follower :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this piece - and I love your style of writing -
    Your newest follower- would love to have you drop by
    and visit sometime ( following back would be awesome! )
    :)
    Hugs,
    Suzan

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful! I really like the look of this.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You have terrific style enjoyed your blogs. Stopping by to say Hi from the blog hop. Come visit sometime, tea is cold and no shoes are required. Kathy B. http://www.southernmadeintheshade.blogspot.com New follower

    ReplyDelete
  8. Replies
    1. Aw thanks everyone for the comments...it gives me hope my poor photography and spelling havn't turned you away ;)

      Delete
  9. Fantastic find! The top is just great and it is always good to have a place to hold your magazine stash (I tend to have a problem w/ that...totally love magazines)! I'm your newest follower.

    Have a great day!

    Angela

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love your sideboard. I have a real problem with magazines as well. lol. I would love it if you could share this wonderful post at our WIW linky party. I hope you can join us.

    Paula
    ivyandelephants.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love, love, love it! It looks great; what a great save! I love to find discarded "treasures" and bring them back to life. New follower!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I loooove that sideboard! What a great find and makeover!
    I just love your style & your writing! ;) I'm a new follower!
    Thank you so much for sharing @ {nifty thrifty sunday}!
    You will be featured at this week's party!
    XO! Vanessa

    ReplyDelete
  13. oh this table is so awesome! i love it. and all your magazines :) hehe

    ReplyDelete
  14. totally have a crush on this one!

    michele

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great save here, looks really good! Thanks for sharing with my party.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Very nice find. I say it was worth the possibility of dumpster-diver's prison. :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Your table is awesome. I love the dark wood on white. Looks great. Love your blog. Thanks for sharing at Bouquet of Talent. :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love the table! It's just beautiful. What a great rescue. I also love finding things at the dump. It's such fun to give new life to things others have discarded. Found you through Life on Lakeshore Dr linky party and am a new follower through GFC. Would love a follow back.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Looks absolutely gorgeous. I am in love with that sideboard

    ReplyDelete
  20. oh i love it! so rustic! that top is awesome!!!

    ReplyDelete

Hearing from you makes my day. Comments make a bloggers world go 'round and 'round so thank you for stopping by and taking the time to say hi!

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...