Sunday, 12 August 2012

Bathroom update, the pointy end of a renovation.

The bathroom is nearly, nearly finished........apart from I small tiling issue I will call my builder on......

soon....ish.

I'm a total chicken... but I'm also a mad chicken. 

The plan is to ask him to finish the tiling that I have already payed for, in my nice, "keeping it professional" voice and thank him in my "non sarcastic" voice for taking the time out of his lunch break to finish the job....

Total assertiveness.....yeah high fives for me!

Oh, I should wait until I actually have the 'talk' shouldn't I. 

Twelve tiles.....that's all that stands between crossing this reno off the list!

This is embarrassing to admit but my bathroom renovation happened over three years ago...

I've never really taken the time to foof it up....and I'm a big foofer.

I've never hung a proper mirror, put up totally pointless but pretty art or practical shelving.

I also haven't painted the ceiling.

Baby steps.

THE BEFORE:

You may avert your eyes at any time, total non eye candy alert...
Unless your into asbestos and mold......I'm not gonna judge.



Yep, I actually used to bathe.........to get clean.....in this!


It makes my eye twitch a little bit to look at these photos.

Pine, asbestos, mold, faux flowers, no power points, painted cement floor, rust stains,  complementary plug, plastic taps........a hand rail that I totally did not use......

apart from the one awkward time I took an oil bath.

Oh and there was no inside toilet....

No biggie, just a bit freaky when you had to go in the middle of the night...with a torch.

AFTER

Dad  was strongly encouraged offered to come around and help me hang a few things this weekend.


I have had this towel rack/shelf for two years.

It was safely stored in the pantry........as you do when your avoiding the issue.

I finally found frames big enough for the coral prints I purchased from Etsy. 

Frames from Target, $4 each on sale and prints from pixiepixels, shelf from Howards Storage World.

Yes that is a paint chip on the wall.  Apparently I still don't know how to safely remove command strips.

I covered it with a heart shaped piece of coral.


Yes I blue tacked it on.......what of it.........like that stuff will pull more paint off when I remove it.

It takes a lot of effort to open a paint tin, stir, and avoid the ceiling.......so I cheated.


I dismantled my DIY art to rescue these.

Yep, blue tack again.


The mirror is from Freedom, bought on sale last year.  It is huge, 83cm. I have a thing for round mirrors and I love that I can put cute things on the shelf. 


I don't look any better in the mornings but you can't have it all.

This is the best view of the shower I could manage, with it's eight unfinished tiles......

Not that I'm hung up on this issue.

Chrome and glass with a swinging door.  Very neat and tidy, though my glass isn't always as streak free as my OCD self would like.


I shopped the house to find storage containers and fun stuff.  The coral container is a plant pot from the $2 store, ditto the vanilla candle and the tin box is from The Shed........free!


I'm not a hoarder or collector...

but if I was, phone insulators would be right up there.


Finally a spot to hang  my towels rather than from the hooks from the shower caddy...

..though they did hide the somewhat conditioner laden glass shower screen.  A lime and vanilla candle and blue phone insulator for top of toilet foofing....just enough to still be able to access the flush button!
The rain shower head is awesome, I wanted one from the ceiling but this is a good budget compromise.  Taps and shower head from a local hardware store. 

The chippy stool I was supposed to paint this weekend.......not really hiding the scales.....I like it here.......I don't know why I need a stool in the bathroom but anyhow.



Considering I live eight hours from the beach, this heart shaped coral was a lucky/random find.

Apart from the 12 tiles issue, I still need a light shade.  Until then my attitude is a big round light bulb = industrial + modern.

I actually like it...of course I have no prematurely sun damaged, aged, wrinkled skin that could be highlighted by bright illumination...

...maybe if I paint the cord a fun colour.



I will be sad to see this go when the re tiling happens. 

It's the perfect shade of turquoise...


Another totally non hoarding piece. 

I'm not superstitious or anything......but come on lucky #5

I do miss not having a bath, especially in winter, but the bathroom is now a neat, clean, bright space that I love.

Even if it's only 98% finished....

I will be assertive.


Thanks dad for wielding the drill :)  I'm capable of doing this myself but it's nice to have company.......and a steady eye.

Must buy spirit level.

I will keep an ear out tonight for coral prints hitting the floor.

I just don't trust velcro command strips.......yet.

TDC Before and After”Tip


17 comments:

  1. beautiful update! simple but it changes the whole feel!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is one awesome mirror! Great find!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's beautiful! And my upstairs bath's before was just as bad. I don't have before pics though because that was back before I was a serious blogger!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jill, so glad it's nearly done!

      Delete
  4. Sarah,

    I think you did an amazing job! Hats off to you! I love that mirror!

    Thanks for the inspiration.

    blessings,
    karianne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's verging into pine look territory...I can live with that!

      Delete
  5. I love love love your story. I can relate, I "renovated" my bathroom about 18 months ago - still haven't finished painting the trip, need to add baseboards, shower curtain, shower rod, and pictures. I am inspired by your project! And I love the fact that you're so honest about it, it makes me feel a little better about my situation knowing that I'm not the only one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The great thing about blogging....pretty things to distract you and the ugly to know your not alone ;)

      Delete
  6. Ahhhhh!! Those before pics are freaking me out! The after is so great! Nice job.. now go kick that builder's butt! We wanna see the tiles!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wanna see tiles to......Monday he says...snort!

      Delete
  7. Ahh bluetack! I really like what you have done - what a transformation! And later you can save for a spa - (thus satisfying your cravings for a bath!) ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks great. A wonderful transformation. Thanks for sharing at the All Star Block Party.

    Holly

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great bathroom update! I'd love for you to share at my party...it just opened! XO, Aimee

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a wonderful update, love the coral :) Thanks for linking up.
    XO

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow. What an update! My bathroom is seriously in need of a similar overhaul! I love the coral prints (and if it makes you feel any better I have some missing paint above the fireplace, because I can't remove command strips safely either.

    Thanks for popping over and linking up to Show & Tell on SNAP! last week. I hope you will stop by again.

    Tauni

    ReplyDelete

Hearing from you makes my day. Comments make a bloggers world go 'round and 'round so thank you for stopping by and taking the time to say hi!

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...