Friday, 27 July 2012

Drop cloth curtain for the dining room

The alternate heading for this post could have been

How I showed my sewing machine who's boss
Don't sew with scarves on..story for another day
Take advice from your mother, you love her...and she's right

Righty ho, down to business...

The "I actually pinned something and made it" business.

In 45 minutes thank you very much.


Now I'm sure if I had used tools of the trade, i.e. tape measure, scissors, iron and a critical eye, it may have taken longer.

I have two speeds when I sew, fast and wheeeeeeeeee!  You know how juvenile boys and most men like to imitate car burn out noise...well that's me...on the Singer.

There are 91,400 tutorials out there on how to make drop cloth curtains, literally according to a Google search!!! I will not make that an odd number by adding mine.
What I did (which may be very different than what you shoul do)
  • I bought drop cloth, $40 in my neck of the woods
  • Washed it because it seemed like the right thing to do...
  • Started to unpick the seam down the middle, took to long, was boring, the dog wanted to play ball
  • Ripped the seam apart, very satisfying...and quick
  • Sewed the ratty looking edges into neat hems
  • Folded over the top and eyeballed it until it looked right and floored the peddle
  • My mum (always sew at your mums place, they have the tools and it saves picking up thread and fluff from your shack) would have been proud, I read the instruction book...twice
  • Nothing take the chocolate off your Snickers like realising you've been roaring along and the bobbin has had no thread for two metres of sewing
  • Fixed it like a pro, swore a bit
  • And ta, da


Casually pooling on the floor..."hello dog hair, have we met yet?"


Sheers in between...and weird wonky candle



No funky editing here folks, just pictures taken on an iPhone at dusk that no PicMonkey editing could fix..
Ah the serenity.

Since the great kitchen reno of 2012 (piccies coming soon) and removal of a wall, the kitchen could be a solarium.  And that that is not good for my already aged Aussie complexion. 

Great for ripening avocados though.

These curtains fit the sun blocking/budget bill and they look pretty lovely in real life with the all white kitchen.

Ideally I would like to  move the rods up higher, not have icky white rods and use curtains clips but budget, availability and not wanting to break out the drill/spack filler keep it real.

Next up a couch cover mm...maybe.

Funky Junk's Sat Nite Special
Linking to
Savvy Southern Style  Serenity Now Six Sisters Stuff Chick on a Shoestring A2D French Country Cottage  Tatertots and Jello Craft-O-Maniac Not JUST A Housewife Uncommon Keeping it Simple Nifty Thrifty Things
Making The World Cuter  Thrifty Decor Chick





12 comments:

  1. LOVE your style. I too am of the 'squint and call it good if its not obviously wrong' persuasion! So... Aussie? I'm in Tassie. Where are you? (Now I'll go read the about you page and probably find out).
    zefi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Zefi, yes no use for perfection here! I love tassie...and the cherries! Hope your having a great weekend.

      Delete
  2. That looks great! I love drop cloth, there is so many things to use it for but I wish I knew how to sew so I could make some curtains like these

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish I knew how to sew as well!!! Would love to make a couch cover...mmm. Hope you had a lovely lazy Sunday.

      Delete
  3. You are so cleaver. Maybe an inexpensive remnant bottom border of browns/tans/??? would make it possible for u to raise that hardware and still get the "pooling". But u already know that is a must, right? Wonderful DIY!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the idea, gotta keep the pooling :)

      Delete
  4. I'm with you on the fast and faster thing when sewing! Great post! ~ Maureen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fast is good, get it done....unpick later!

      Delete
  5. it sounds easy enough and like i will become a brain surgeon for sewing two pieces of fabric! i'll try it out! http://bisozozo.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should at least get a diploma!

      Delete
  6. They turned out great and I love how they puddle!

    ReplyDelete
  7. lovely. I am hosting a Giveaway to win a 50 dollar gift card to the store HomeGoods/ TJ Maxx It would be great if you stopped by and entered. Thanks Anu

    ReplyDelete

Hearing from you makes my day. Comments make a bloggers world go 'round and 'round so thank you for stopping by and taking the time to say hi!

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...