Monday, 23 July 2012

Art. Why free and DIY make the cut


Prior to painting The Shack, I removed every existing nail and picture hook and spack filled them ready to paint over and start afresh.  Either the previous owners had a thing for gallery walls, string art installations or they hadn't met a Command Strip they liked!


When I moved in I had two pieces of 'wall art' to hang up.  Both were tin numerical stencils borrowed from *The Shed.  In a moment of "aren't you forgetting you have just scraped 15 years of this b(&&$& stuff off the wall" I blue tacked them above door ways. 


Lesson learnt!   Heavy metal items and blue tack cohesiveness will not survive the summer heat and come crashing down only in the middle of the night after watching a slightly scary movie and checking the doors are locked. Command Strips are now my friend but I am still a scardy cat. :)
 
I like my 'art' to tell a story and preferably be either hand made, free or both!  I have bought a few items from Etsy and Redbubble and they are jumbled up with bits and pieces from The Shed, the local dump, friends and family.









Clockwise from  left:  Rulers make great art and are pretty easy to find.  Crown print from Etsy (cannot find details from where i bought it sorry)  Etsy again and ditto re the details.  Dump find.  Framed ceramic key from a local shop and a bought print from a dollar store.  Stencil.  These prints were a gift.



This was rescued from the local dump.  I have no idea what it is but I love it.  It's rusty enough to invoke tetanus and spiders congregate on it like it's their spiritual home but it fits in.
A DIY.  This masterpiece of dollar store frames, faux star fish and stencilling, hangs in the bathroom.  I'm not a beachy person, I could be if there wasn't so much sand...
Last time I was at the beach, I found some shells and coral, drove them >700kms inland and thought why not stick them in the bathroom.  The beginning and end of my beach phase.

There are times I do wish I had some nicer pieces but I refuse to be envious of what I don't have and cannot afford.  My 'art' is only for me and most importantly it makes my home what it is and it makes me happy. 

For more DIY art ideas, feel free to check this and this out.

*The Shed is three bay carport at my parents place and it a treasure trove filled with things from when we lived on a property. It's a resource for a lot of my decorating and oh yes, it's free! You will be sure to see a few more items rescued from The Shed in the future.


Linking in to    The Shabby nest Whipperberry Tatertos and Jello  Savvy Southern StyleFrench Country Cottage  Six Sisters Stuff  DIY Showoff  Craft-O-Maniac  Making The World Cuter

Funky Junk's Sat Nite Special








Tip Junkie handmade projects
















14 comments:

  1. blog hopped over from Newbie party. I have to say that your art is refreshing and unique. Which I love. Because, where I live it feels like you see the same pieces of art in every bodies homes. My favorite piece is the wire one.

    http://jennylynndesignz.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jenny, thanks for visiting! I'm with you, art should not be an expession of what is popular but what you love and what is you!

      Delete
  2. Your rusty art is so unique and truly a beautiful piece of art. There are probably galleries in NY that would sell it for big bucks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Stephanie, I like it :)

      Delete
  3. I love your creativity! Your star fish pics are adorable. I'm your newest follower from the newbie party. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kathy, thanks for popping over and taking the time to comment!

      Delete
  4. Love the original "art" and who cares if it's not a masterpiece in someone else's eyes?! As the saying goes, beauty is in the eye of the beholder and your eyes are the ones beholding it the most so you might as well put up something you like. I'm glad you stopped by my blog so I could check out yours - you're pretty darn funny!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi SJ, Thanks for popping over, loved your post on PicMonkey editing, I had a very rough time re sizing, lots of cursing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great finds! I love the metal thingy and your creativity with the frames. Well done!

    Pam

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love it to. Thanks for popping over and hope you had a lovely quite weekend.

      Delete
  7. I would have hung that up too... Love the "art" in it!
    Susan
    Homeroad.net

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a bit of fun! Thanks for popping in, I really enjoyed your blog...I will be back.

      Delete
  8. Love it! Original and rustic and LOL about the tetanus and spiders!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Nothing like a little danger in home beautification!

      Delete

Hearing from you makes my day. Comments make a bloggers world go 'round and 'round so thank you for stopping by and taking the time to say hi!

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...